Hot Springs National Park preserves the hot springs and bathhouses which have made Hot Springs, Arkansas a destination for travelers and relief seekers for more than 200 years. The park protects 47 hot springs and eight historic bathhouses along an area called Bathhouse Row in downtown Hot Springs.
In its prime between the 1800s and 1960s the resort area grew in popularity. Bathhouses became more elaborate and rivaled European spas in elegance and style. Baths constructed in the early 1900s make up the current Bathhouse Row.
While each bathhouse on the row is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, only Fordyce and Buckstaff are open to the public. Buckstaff Bathhouse has been in operation since 1912 and still offers spa services. The Fordyce Bathhouse hosts the park visitor center and offers a behind the scenes peek at the spa industry. The building is beautifully constructed of marble and tile with stained glass accents. The men's bath hall has the feel of a Roman bath.
Most of the springs have been covered for years but glimpses of the hot springs in action can be seen along the Grand Promenade walkway behind Bathhouse Row. Samples of hot spring water for drinking are available at jug fountains along Bathhouse Row.
The park also offers scenic drives, day-use hiking, picnicking and camping in the Ouchita Mountains.
Hot Springs National Park is located in the city of Hot Springs. It is 55 miles southwest of Little Rock and is accessible via State Highways 5 and 7 and U.S. Highways 70 and 270. Lodging is available in Hot Springs.